When you choose to donate to a cause you believe in, it is important that you know and understand where your donation goes, who it helps, and what it does. Donations made on Colorado Gives Day, for instance, are unrestricted. This means that donations can be used where they will be the most beneficial for our students.
Every nonprofit participating in Colorado Gives Day (including us, of course!) goes through an extensive vetting process to make sure they are reliable and use your money wisely. You can learn more about that here. Further, you can find our information on our Guidestar Silver Seal of Transparency, find us on the Better Business Bureau, and view our membership with the Colorado Nonprofit Association.
But what happens after you write the check and send it through the mail? What happens after you click “submit” on that web donation form? What happens after your bank account lets you know that the check was deposited? That’s what we’re here to tell you today.
The Dream Team consists of five separate programs, all of which will benefit from donations received on Colorado Gives Day. These programs are:
- The Dream Team Program is a pre-collegiate TRiO program that serves over 700 low-income and first-generation students at eight District 6 middle and high schools.
- The K8 Program is specifically for students at Bella Romero Academy, Chappelow Arts and Literacy Magnet School, and Winograd K-8 School. This program supports these students while they’re in middle school and allows them to transition into The Dream Team Program upon completion of 8th
- The Alumni Program follows students after their graduation from high school to support them in postsecondary education to prepare for college graduation and workforce readiness.
- The Discovery Program assists students at Jefferson High School in developing their skills in socialization, communication, team-building, and anger-management. These students take Discovery I, II, and III throughout their high school experience.
- The Teen Parent Class serves as an elective option at Jefferson High School. This class educates, prepares, and empowers teen parents to become positive role models to their children. Lessons cover topics like child brain development, healthy relationships, nutrition, car seat safety, music education, early literacy, baby sign language, child health, wellness, and much more.
Your donation will go through these Programs to help first-generation and low-income students in District 6 excel in school, transition into college, and become tomorrow’s leaders. That’s an easy thing to say, but it can be difficult to understand how your money helps, even if it is only a few dollars.
- $15 will cover the fee for one student to request their SAT scores from the College Board so they can apply to colleges and scholarships
- $25 will send one middle school student on a career exploration field trip
- $50 will send one high school student on a college tour
- $100 will provide a single workshop for 75 middle school students
- $250 will sponsor a hole at the annual Fairway to the Future Golf Tournament (which raises funds for the Dream Team Honors Scholarship)
- $500 will fund one student for one year in the program
- $750 will provide one student the Dream Team Honors Scholarship for one semester
- $1,500 will provide one student with the Dream Team Honors Scholarship for a full year
- $2,500 will provide a field trip for 100 middle school students
- $5,000 will provide a college overnight experience for 65 high school students
In addition to field trips, workshops, scholarships, and sponsorships, there is so much more your donation can do once it is received.
Help a college student purchase course materials and textbooks they cannot afford.
Provide a student with additional school supplies they don’t have.
Purchase healthy snack options for students on field trips and overnights.
Cover the exam fees for Advanced Placement (AP) courses for a high school student.
Purchase a cap and gown for a graduating student.
Provide tutoring to middle and high school students.
Cover application fees to allow a student to apply to their dream college.
Your donation helps in so many ways, and it makes a difference in the lives of our students. To learn more about the ways you can help, check out our How YOU Can Help page to learn about donations, volunteering, connecting your Amazon Smile, donating while shopping at King Soopers, and more!